Past Sample Projects
We are proud to present some of the past research projects on monarch butterflies carried out by 6th to 8th grade Minnesota students. These projects (which happen to be from 1998) are intended to give you more of an idea of how projects are defined and completed.
Humboldt Jr High School, St Paul MN
- A Monarch’s Memory
- Do You Hear What I Hear?
- Monarch’s Taste
- The Battle of the Sexes
- The Effect of Temperature on a Developing Chrysalis
McGuire Jr High School, Lakeville MN
- Caterpillars Pupating and Emerging in Heat and Cold
- Does Temperature Affect Pupae?
- How Does Climate Affect the Emerging Rate of Pupae?
- How Does Temperature Affect the Butterfly After Emerging?
- How Does the Moisture Level of Milkweed Affect the Growth of Caterpillars?
Plymouth Middle School, Plymouth MN
- Are the Females’ Wings Larger Than the Males’?
- Are There More Male Monarchs or Female Monarchs?
- Are There More Male or Female Monarchs?
- Do Monarchs Eat Any Other Food Than Milkweed?
- How Many Male and Female Butterflies Came Out of Their Chrysalises Each Day?
- Whose Wings are Bigger, Males or Females?
St Francis - St James United School, St Paul MN
- Survival Rate of Monarch Caterpillars Raised in the Dark vs. in the Light
- Will Monarch Caterpillars Eat More in the Light Than Those in the Dark?
Willow Creek Middle School, Rochester MN
- Do Monarch Larvae Prefer Young or Mature Milkweed Leaves?
- Amazing Monarch Larvae - Does Heat or Light Affect the Direction of the Pre-Pupal "J"?
- Does the Size of the Container Affect the Larva Size or Adult Size?
- If There is No Milkweed, Where Will Monarch Butterflies Lay Their Eggs?
- The Effects of Different Species of Milkweed on Monarch Development
- The Effects of Magnets on Monarch Pupae