MLMP Online Training
Welcome to the Monarch Larva Monitoring Project online training course, and thanks for your interest in monarchs! In this online course, you’ll learn how to identify all life stages of monarchs, and about their amazing annual cycle of breeding, migrating and overwintering. You’ll also learn how you can contribute to our understanding of this incredible insect by joining the Monarch Larva Monitoring Project, or MLMP. The instructors for this course are Karen Oberhauser, Wendy Caldwell, Kelly Duhn, and Kelly Nail. After you’ve completed the course, we hope that you’ll provide feedback using the short survey linked to at the bottom of this page.
Why are monarchs great citizen science subjects? First, a lot of people working together can do a lot to understand this insect that covers such a large area. Second, monarchs are easy to observe and identify, and have an iconic status as a symbol of the natural world and our connections to it. Finally, the MLMP is fun for everyone!
Share feedback about the MLMP online training - When you have completed the training series, please complete our survey where you can provide feedback.
Create a Certificate of Completion (see Related Documents below) for yourself with your name and the date.
- Monarch Biology and Conservation Basics
- MLMP Training Series Introduction
- Section 1a: Identification of Monarch Eggs and Larvae
- Section 1b: Identification of Monarch Pupae, Adults, Host Plants, and Nectar Plants
- Section 2: Migration and Overwintering
- Section 3a: Introduction to the MLMP
- Section 3b: MLMP Activities - Site Description and Measuring Milkweed Density
- Section 3c: MLMP Activities - Measuring Monarch Density
- Section 3d: MLMP Activities - Milkweed Characteristics
- Section 3e: MLMP Activities - Rearing, Survival, and Parasitism
- A Day in Your Site
- Closing Remarks
These training videos are a production of AllDay Video.
- MLMP Online Training Key Points - Use this document to take notes and follow along with the training videos.
- Creat Your Own Certificate of Completion - When you have completed the training series, create a certificate for yourself with your name and the date.